Clove (Syzygium aromaticum
) is a valuable herb that has been used for centuries as a food preservative and for many medicinal purposes. Cloves are the dried flower buds of the clove tree, an evergreen that grows in tropical climates and coastal areas. Cloves contain one of the richest sources of eugenol.
The Chemistry of Cloves Infographic by CompoundChem.com
Specific applications studied in poultry include:
- Snake-repellent: Clove essential oil has been shown to be of benefit as a natural repellent of snakes. Combining with cinnamon essential oil, or used alone, when combined with water can be used as a repellent spray to repel snakes.
S. aromaticum flower buds can be combined with either 0.2% lemon balm (Mellisa officinalisL. ) extract or 0.2% agrimony (Agrimonia eupatoria L. ) extract to provide a natural source of antioxidants. Dilute the mixture with drinking water (2:1000).
- Red poultry mite repellentClove essential oil is a natural method of repelling red poultry mites (Dermanyssus gallinae) from coops.
- Insect-repellent: Clove essential oil is often used as a natural repellent for mosquitoes and lice.
Poultry Specific Studies
|Type||Plant Part||Dosage||Specific use||Results||Ref|
|Chickens||essential oil||acaricidal, mite control||environmental control of Sarcoptes mites||F Fang et al., 2016|
|Chickens||essential oil||0.125% of diet||necrotic enteritis||an effective feed additives to treat and/or prevent necrotic enteritis||NM Eid et al., 2018|
|Chickens||powder||2% of diet for 10 days||antifungal, candidiasis||improved the symptoms induced by C. albicans and increased PCV %, ALT and AST level, with a decrease in erythrocyte count and total leukocyte count. When combined with thyme oil can be used as an alternative medicine for the treatment of candidiasis in chicken.||G Fatah et al., 2020|
|Chickens||EO||250-450 ppm of diet||antioxidant, heat stress||a potential replacement for synthetic antioxidants in broiler diets.||F Mohammadi et al., 2021|
|Other||EO||acaricidal, fowl mites||can therefore be used as potential substitutes for chemical pesticides to prevent and control O. sylviarum (fowl mites).||Y Jian et al., 2022|
- Radsetoulalova, I et al.. "Active components of essential oils as acaricides against Dermanyssus gallinae." British poultry science vol. 61,2 (2020)
- Oliveira, Gabriel da S et al.. "Clove essential oil in the sanitation of fertile eggs" Poultry Science (2020)
- Freitas, Ednardo R et al.. "Effect of Syzygium cumini leaves on laying hens performance and egg quality." Anais da Academia Brasileira de Ciencias vol. 89,3 Suppl (2017)
- Rahman Alizadeh M, Mahdavi AH, Rahmani HR, Jahanian E.. "Clove bud (Syzygium aromaticum) improved blood and hepatic antioxidant indices in laying hens receiving low n-6 to n-3 ratios." J Anim Physiol Anim Nutr (Berl). (2016)
- . "Snake Repellent: What Works to Repel Snakes? " Alford Wildlife & Pest Management (2015)
- Mansourian A, Boojarpour N, Ashnagar S, Momen Beitollahi J, Shamshiri AR.. "The comparative study of antifungal activity of Syzygium aromaticum, Punica granatum and nystatin on Candida albicans; an in vitro study." Journal de Mycolie Medicial (2014)
- Cortés-Rojas DF, de Souza CR, Oliveira WP.. "Clove (Syzygium aromaticum): a precious spice." Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine (2014)
- Al-Mariri A, Safi M.. "In Vitro Antibacterial Activity of Several Plant Extracts and Oils against Some Gram-Negative Bacteria." Iran Journal of Medical Science (2014)
- Fayemiwo KA, Adeleke MA, Okoro OP, Awojide SH, Awoniyi IO.. "Larvicidal efficacies and chemical composition of essential oils of Pinus sylvestris and Syzygium aromaticum against mosquitoes." Asian Pacific Journal of Tropical Biomedicine (2014)
- Naveed R, Hussain I, Tawab A, Tariq M, Rahman M, Hameed S, Mahmood MS, Siddique AB, Iqbal M.. "Antimicrobial activity of the bioactive components of essential oils from Pakistani spices against Salmonella and other multi-drug resistant bacteria." BMC Complement Altern Med (2013)
- Gupta A, Duhan J, Tewari S, Sangwan P, Yadav A, Singh G, Juneja R, Saini H.. "Comparative evaluation of antimicrobial efficacy of Syzygium aromaticum, Ocimum sanctum and Cinnamomum zeylanicum plant extracts against Enterococcus faecalis: a preliminary study" International Endodontic Journal (2013)
- Kafle L, Shih CJ.. "Toxicity and repellency of compounds from clove (Syzygium aromaticum) to red imported fire ants Solenopsis invicta (Hymenoptera: Formicidae)." J Econ Entomol (2013)
- Petrovic V, Marcincak S, Popelka P, Simkova J, Martonova M, Buleca J, Marcincakova D, Tuckova M, Molnar L, Kovac G.. "The effect of supplementation of clove and agrimony or clove and lemon balm on growth performance, antioxidant status and selected indices of lipid pr" Journal of Animal Physiology (2012)
- N Chidley, N Pellegrini, S Church, T Lane, S Viney, K Murden, B McGovern, S Evans, T Laood, L Warner.. "Herbal Health for Chickens" The Herbarium (2011)