Niles Animal Hospital has a long and distinguished history, being recognized as one of the foremost veterinary practices in the nation. The hospital was established by Dr. T. J. Lafeber, Jr. who was considered one of the world’s leading authorities on pet bird care and medicine. After Dr. Lafeber graduated from Iowa State College of Veterinary Medicine in 1949, he opened Niles Animal Hospital. His small animal practice was extremely successful catering to dogs, cats and birds. In 1953, Niles Animal Hospital achieved accreditation from the American Animal Hospital Association (AAHA) and has remained accredited since then (see the article describing accreditation on this web site). In 1960, Dr. Lafeber was made chairman of the AAHA Committee on Avian Medicine. He performed in depth studies on the problems and diseases of pet birds as well as the proper methods of maintaining them as pets. His success in the field was confirmed by his large following of private bird owners, pet stores, aviculturists and breeders.